Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Alone, once more?

Over the weekend we finally made a purchase that will take us into the next stage of Peach's sleep: blackout shades. Her room is south-facing (and coincidentally the brightest room in the house) and curtains just won't cut it if you plan on having her sleep a wink in it. Before this weekend, her crib was used maybe a half dozen times (perhaps on a very overcast day, or in those early weeks when light didn't wake her) and was more of a decoration than anything else. Instead, we have had her in our room, first at the foot of our bed, then at my side when she began waking less frequently, in a pack-n-play. We know she's not a fan of it (although she tolerates it) as she slams her legs down on the paper-thin mattress. It even sounds thin.

Anyhow, I was all ramped up to finally get our room back. No more whispering when we came in for the night, we could have more 'mom & dad time' without feeling strange (sorry, mom), and most importantly, my girl could finally use her crib that we bought all those months ago. All day Saturday and Sunday we laid her in her nap to crib (still swaddled - its hard to break!) and celebrated its success. Additionally, last night we decided it was time to let her sleep in there overnight - Gasp!

Like I said before, I was excited for this move. Even after I got her down (finally) and came down to watch some of the Superbowl with my husband I was happy about the transition. However, when it came time for us to go to bed, I couldn't help but whisper (even though its unnecessary) and when I looked into the empty pack-n-play I felt like crying - my baby was gone. Even my husband noted how empty the room felt.

Needless to say, I quickly declared that if/when she woke in the night, I'd be bringing her back in. Shane agreed. She woke up at 1 am (still getting through the 4 month sleep regression) and I was so happy to bring her back, I practically (sleep)skipped. I am still excited for her to sleep in her room and hope for the transition to be complete within a week - but for right now - I'm content with the baby steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment