Pages

Friday, March 1, 2013

Five Months Old!

Alison is FIVE months old! 
Today I woke up with a five month old. I'll save you the shock and awe of having a child this old BUT I will say she has grown monumentally over the last 28 days.

This month saw her rolling over (back to tummy), becoming mobile (!!!), sleeping in her room overnight(that system still isn't perfect), noticing our dog Rudy, pressing buttons on toys, passing toys between hands with ease, grabbing her feet, and (my favorite) her personality has just been blooming. She is such a happy, sweet, and sassy little girl. She knows what she wants and loves to laugh. I've always loved her (of course) but I am starting to feel that real bond. I thought the bond was strong before but, in reflection, I'm feeling it so much more now.

She's at such a fun age, too. I love watching her discover the world around her and its wonderful that she can entertain herself while I get a few things done around the house. I could leave her for a few minutes (a few feet away) on the play mat before and I knew she had visual stimulation but her ability to interact with her toys gives her such joy now. I love to hear her laugh and sometimes it even makes me smile to hear her get frustrated when a toy doesn't fit in her mouth the way she'd like (does that make me a mean momma? ;) )

The sleep regression we faced is more or less over but our champion sleeper is a memory of the past. In February she went down from 4-5 wakings a night to 1-3. I can't really complain though because she goes right back down after a minute or two, but it's nothing like the sleep she (and we) got before she was 15 weeks old. Naps are more consolidated- instead of 5 40 minute naps she's sleeping 2 MAYBE 3 times a day with times ranging from 45 minutes to 2 1/2 hours. The sacrifice is she. Is back to napping in the wrap- but as I've read from other moms, if its not a problem for your family it's not a problem. Some moms have said their child slept on them for awhile and once they were ready they stopped. It's difficult to want to stop because the rest she gets on me is SO restful. She wakes up smiling, ready to play and learn. When I was laying her down and she was sleeping those short bursts and waking up cranky and rubbing her eyes within 20 minutes - made for a grumpy baby and momma. I've learned to take it one day at a time and as my wonderful friend Megan reminded me the other day - one day you'll realizing they are no longer doing that thing you worked so hard on and they'll be on to something new. In addition, I find solace that no kid ever went to collage needing to sleep on their mother(maybe Alison will be the first ;)).

As far as her dislikes, she has little interest in sitting up (further affirming our choice to wait on solids) but I have a hunch that will change. She's also not a fan of reading books (shed rather out them in her mouth) so I've had to be creative in that department, reading books while doing tummy time. Lastly, Alison doesn't like when she can't get toys into her mouth. This is especially true when in the Jumparoo - she loves to be in it but all of the attached toys are just within reach to play with but she's not able to pull them I any closer. I've had to attach more toys with plenty of links so that she can explore some textures with her mouth. Other than those things, she's a pretty content little girl!

I can't wait to see what this next month has in store for us. Spring is nearly here and with warmer weather the activity possibilities broaden.

No comments:

Post a Comment