Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

A Week of Firsts

This has been a great week & another one for the record books.

Monday we went to our first ever story time at our local library. The story time for her age group is 9:30 am but we never get to go since that is (usually) smack dab in the middle of Alison's morning nap (ugh). Thanks to the time change,however, she was "off schedule" and not ready to nap until much later so we were able to go. It was so much fun!!! Unfortunately, she adjusted her schedule by Tuesday and the chances of us making next weeks story time is slim. Honestly, I was shocked there were so many "regulars" able to make the 9:30 time. All the baby sleep reading I've done suggests babies around this age form a morning nap beginning around 9 or 10. Beats me! There is another library closer to a friends home that has the same program at 10:30 which would better suit our needs. Hopefully we'll be able to go with them sometime soon ( or just on our own ).

Equally (if not more) groundbreaking, last night was the FIRST time Alison has gone to bed in her crib "tired but awake". A little voice inside my head said to really give it a good shot, which I did, and the pay off was phenomenal. As I've mentioned before, we've had to rock her to sleep and VERY carefully put her in her crib, otherwise there were countless tears. It pulled at our heart strings - we just couldn't let her cry like that. So, instead we followed her lead and gave her what she wanted. It appears there is a change in the air, now at 5 1/2 months old. Slowly, I shifted from rocking her to just holding. From letting her nurse to sleep, to pulling my breast away when she was done but still awake. It took about a week but I finally got her to go to sleep just by holding her, which I had been doing for naps as well as night time sleep. I seriously felt like a rock star. I got her to go to sleep without crying it out (not to say she didn't protest) and at her own will. The benefit was immeasurable - she didn't wake up several times before finally nodding off, which had been her habit since that dreaded regression some 8 weeks ago. She only woke up when her white noise turned off (but we fixed that problem) and gave us a nice 7 hour stretch. I can't remember the last time she did that!

What's more? We just did the same routine just now for a nap. She fought it more than she did last night (My guess is because she's not as sleepy as she is before nighttime sleep), but she still went down awake in her crib. I'm typing this entry now from her rocking chair as I promised her (yes I know.. It's not like she understood the promise, but I'm a mommy of my word) that I wouldn't leave her room as she slept. It's been 30 minutes now and I feel like I can mark this go a success, too. I'm one proud momma!

Also making me incredibly happy is reflecting on my love - I met my fantastic husband in a bar with good friends five years ago this evening. That man is one in a million- the most amazing spouse and the best father I could have hoped for for our Alison. I'll try not to be too mushy - but Shane is seriously the B.E.S.T. :)

My mom is coming down this weekend and I am really looking forward to it. Perhaps ill get to clean some during Alison's afternoon nap. I can dream, right??

Have a great weekend, friends!!
A girl and her Daddy 3-11-13
Big Girl! 3-14-13

No comments:

Post a Comment